Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why?

Why?
I've been asking myself a lot of "whys" lately....  Why am I ready to turn the lights out on a Friday night when it's not even completely dark outside yet?  Followed by: WHY am I waking up at 5 something on a Saturday morning to go run way too many miles when I could stay right here in my bed?!  And a few hours later: Whhhhhyyy am I not protesting, laying down on this park bench, and calling it QUITS on this 20 mile run?!?!  13 miles should be enough, right?!?!  (The bacon from that campground smells really good too.  Maybe those campers wouldn't mind an extra visitor.)  Why have I had to recently warn the pedicure lady (with all sincerity) to steer clear of certain blisters on my toes (caused by running, of course) or else my reflexes would cause me to accidentally kick her in the chin?  Why do I wake up with the birds almost every morning to run or submerge myself in a chilly pool?  And why do I deny myself vending machine cookies because I need to fuel properly for my runs.  (Oh wait, that last part didn't really happen... vending machine cookies won.  Again.) 
After I ask myself all of those "whys," I (try my hardest to) remember that this will all pay off.  The big race is coming up in a couple of weeks, and all of the training (i.e. doing what I don't always want to do) will be worth it.  Hopefully I won't be *quite* as miserable at mile 20 come raceday because a few weeks earlier I didn't quit and go eat bacon with some new best friends.  And hopefully I'll still be smiling after I cross the finish line (I will cross the finish line), because I sacrificed a few social events and turned it in early on Friday nights. Although it's usually difficult, training is good and... worth it, isn't it?
"... train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."- 1 Timothy 4:7-8
The other morning I was attempting to talk myself (yet again) into rolling out of my bed and into my running shoes, when I thought about all of the sacrifices of time and sacrifices of the doing-what-I-really-want-to-be-doings over the past few months.  And then I was reminded of these verses in 1 Timothy.  Yes, this physical training does have some value.  But how am I training myself to be godly?  All of the running and stretching and denying of myself is great and will pay off, but godliness has value for all things, "holding promise for both the present life and the life to come".  Do I put nearly as much time and effort into my godliness-shape as I do my running-shape?  How much time do I spend studying the Bible and praying versus running miles and miles and (too many) more miles?  Am I willing to sacrifice time I'd rather be sleeping or hanging out with friends on Friday nights to be with Jesus?  What about you?  Maybe it's time to re-prioritize and train for the things that last both now and in the life to come!
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment